Bitter Gourd or Kakarkaya – 4 nos.
Onion – 1(small) chopped
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
Cashew powder – 1 tbsp.
Red chilli powder – 1 or 2 tsp. depends on your liking
Curry leaves – a few
Turmeric – a pinch
Oil – 1 tbsp.
Salt to taste
- Wash, clean and cut the bitter gourd into bite sized pieces. Pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles till done. Keep aside.
- In a fry pan, add in the oil. Once hot, add in the cumin, mustard seeds and curry leaves. Once they splutter add in the onion.
- Add in a bit of salt and turmeric and fry well till the onion is cooked.
- Now add in the cooked bitter gourd and mix well.
- Put the cashew powder and red chilli powder and stir properly till well combined.
- Do a taste check and add salt or chilli powder if necessary.
- Fry for a minute and remove from the stove.
- Serve hot with white rice and ghee.
Another simple bitter gourd veg fry that you can try ….. Kakarakaya Kura or Bitter Gourd Fry and the Kakarkaya Masala Fry
For more such easy and healthy dry veg recipes, click here to try them…