This recipe of using curds in a ladyfinger curry, I came across in a newspaper. I cut that part of the page and kept it in my recipe collection. It has taken me quite some time to get around to giving it a try.
Yesterday I wanted to try something different with bendakaya and I remembered this. It turned out so good and now I am going to make it every now and then.
Bhindi or bendakaya – 10, chopped into big pieces
Curd – ½ cup
Turmeric – ½ tsp.
Dessicated coconut – 1 tbsp.
Rice – 1 tsp.
Coriander seeds or Dhaniya – 1 tsp.
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
Curry leaves – a few
Red chillies – 2
Salt to taste
- Soak rice in little bit of warm water for at least 15 mins. Dry roast the coriander seeds and keep aside.
- Saute the vegetable in a pan just till the bhindi or bendakaya are almost cooked. Keep aside in a separate bowl.
- Take a mixie jar and add in the rice, coconut, cumin and coriander seeds, red chillies and make a smooth paste by adding a little bit of water.
- Put all this mixture in a kadai and cook for a minute or two. Add in the curds, bendakaya, turmeric and salt. Cook for 4 -5 minutes and turn off the stove. Depending on your choice of consistency, can add some more water while cooking.
- Do the tempering with mustard seeds and curry leaves and pour it on top of the curry.
- It is best served with hot steaming rice.
For Bendakaya/Bhindi/Ladyfinger Recipes, click here…
a. Ladyfinger Coconut Masala
b. Ladyfinger with Onion Tomato Masala
c. Bendakaya Fry
d. Bhindi Do Pyaaza
e. Bendakaya Senagapindi Kura
f. Bharwan Bhindi
g. Ladyfinger n Potato Masala Curry