Normally in any regular household kitchen, we discard the peels of vegetables when cooking. We must try to reduce waste and to follow this principle, here is a chutney recipe that uses the peels of bottlegourd to make a tasty chutney. in case of absolutely tender bottle gourds, the peels are clean and easily get cooked too. The addition of peanuts and sesame lends a nutty flavour to this chutney.
Peels – 1 medium sized bottle gourd
Peanuts – 1 tbsp.
Coriander seeds – 1 tsp.
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
Urad dal – 1 tsp.
Chana dal – 1 tbsp.
Red chillies – 2
Roasted sesame powder – 1 tbsp.
Garlic – 4 pods
Tamarind – 1 tsp. paste
Salt to taste
Oil – 3 tbsp. + 1 tsp.
Curry leaves – few
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
Jeera – ½ tsp.
- In a small kadai, put 1.5 tbsp. oil and lightly fry or roast the red chillies, dals, coriander seeds and peanuts. Put this in a mixie jar and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add some more oil and fry the peels with a little salt added. Keep stirring the peels in between to cook evenly. Remove in a plate and keep aside.
- Now add in the tamarind, garlic and roasted sesame powder into the mixie jar and grind coarsely.
- To this mix, add in the peels and grind till it forms a semi smooth paste. You can add a very little amount of water while grinding. Once done, remove into a serving bowl.
- Do the tempering with curry leaves, jeera and mustard and pour over the chutney.
- It is a very good combination with hot white rice.
Here are some more recipes using bottle gourd…..