Knol Khol pieces – 120-150 gms.
Yellow moong dal or pesarapappu – 2 tbsp.
Chana dal or senagapappu – 2 tbsp.
Onion – 1, chopped
Tomato – 1 chopped
Green chilli – 2
Coriander – 2 tbsp.
Turmeric – ½ tsp.
Hing or asafoetida – ¼ tsp.
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp.
Black peppercorns – 3
Split urad dal – ½ tsp.
Salt to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp.
For the masala paste
Peanuts – 2 tbsp. (with or without skin; the difference is in the colour of the final dish)
Melon seeds – 2 tsp.
Sesame seeds – 1 tsp.
- In a bowl, wash and soak the dals for an hour.
- In a pressure cooker, place the vegetable pieces, soaked dal, green chilli, black peppercorns, turmeric, hing, salt and water. Pressure cook till done.
- Make the masala paste adding a little water with the ingredients listed and keep aside.
- In a saucepan, add in the oil and once hot do the tempering with urad dal and cumin seeds.
- Then add in the onion and fry till translucent. Next add in the tomato and cook till soft. Add in the salt and mix well.
- Now add in the masala paste and stir for 2 mins. till cooked.
- Next step is to add in the onion and tomato masala paste to the vegetable and dal. Mix well, add water to adjust the consistency. Give it a boil for everything to blend well.
- Add in the coriander and mix. Check for taste and switch off the stove. Remove into a serving bowl. Can be eaten with rice or chapathi.
Slowly I’ve grown to love this vegetable and here is another one that I did. It is the Knol Khol Kootu …