Eggs – 2, room temp
Oil – 1/2 cup (coconut oil or vegetable oil)
Brown Sugar – 1/2 cup
Vanilla extract – 1 tsp.
Flour – 1.5 cups
Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tsp.
Baking soda – 1/2 tsp.
Salt – a small pinch
Apples – 1 cup, peeled and chopped into 1/4″ thick pieces
Banana – 1 cup, chopped
Nuts – ½ cup, chopped, nuts of your choice
Ingredients for Caramel Sauce:
Demerara or Brown sugar – 1/2 cup
Unsalted butter – 3 tbsp.
Milk – 2 tbsp.
Vanilla extract – 1/4 tsp.
Salt – a very small pinch
- Preheat oven to 180˚C and grease base and sides of a 9″ pan with oil or butter.
- in a mixing bowl, mix together the eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla extract. Beat well till well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon powder, baking soda and salt.
- Now add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until well incorporated.
- Now mix in the apple and banana pieces. Add in the nuts.
- Transfer the batter into the pan and bake in center of oven for about 25-30 mins. or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Start making the sauce 5 minutes before the cake is out of the oven
- Once the cake is done and out of the oven, poke it all over with a skewer. While still hot, pour the sauce evenly over the cake.
- Give the cake a few minutes to absorb the syrup. Transfer cake to a plate, cut and serve.
How to make the Caramel Sauce:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, mix together all the ingredients.
- Bring to a low boil and continue to cook stirring gently for 3-4 minutes.
- It should be loose and lightly coat a spoon, so that it is easily absorbed into the cake.
This is very similar to the Apple Dapple recipe with just a few tweaks. If you love apple and like to incorporate it in your baking, you can also try my Apple Oat Muffins.