This is one of my favourite rice preparations. I make it pretty often at home, when I don’t feel like doing an elaborate meal. This flavourful one pot dish is easy to make and finishes quickly too.
Basmati rice – 1.5 cups
Water – 3 Cups
Onion – 1 big, finely chopped
Cumin – 3 tsp.
Cumin powder – 1 tsp.
Oil/ghee – 2 tbsp.
Green chillies – 2 or 3 finely chopped
Salt to taste
Bay leaf – 1
- Soak the basmati rice in water for half an hour. Strain and keep aside.
- In a small pressure cooker, add the oil/ghee and once hot, add the bay leaf and cumin seeds.
- Once they splutter, add the onion and green chillies and sauté.
- Once the onion becomes translucent, add the rice and cumin powder. Mix well.
- Now add the salt and water and check for taste.
- Cover and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
The best accompaniment for Jeera Rice is the Rajma Masala. There is no doubt on this.
For more varieties of aromatic flavourful rice dishes, you can try out my…