Shredded cabbage – 3 cups
Basmati rice – 1 cup
Onion – 1 big
Peas – 1/3 cup
Potato – 1 big
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp.
Curry leaves – a sprig
Jeera or cumin – 1 tsp.
Ghee – 1 tbsp.
Oil – 2 tbsp.
Garam masala – 1 tsp.
Green chilies – 2, sliced
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Water – 2 cups
- Chop the onion and potato and keep aside.
- Wash and clean the rice. Soak in water for at least 20 – 30 mins.
- In a pressure pan, add in the ghee and oil. Once hot, add in the cumin, chillies and curry leaves. Saute.
- Now add in the onion pieces and fry well. Add in a bit of salt and the ginger garlic paste. Mix well.
- Once the onions turn a light brown colour, add in the potato pieces and peas. Mix well. Cover and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Next add in the cabbage and combine. Add in a bit of salt, turmeric and again cover and cook for a few minutes.
- Now put in the garam masala powder and water. Stir well. Check for salt.
- Once the water starts to boil a little, carefully add in the rice and stir.
- Pressure cook for 2 or 3 whistles. Once the pressure releases, fluff up the cabbage pulao with a fork and serve.
Here are a few pulao recipes that you may enjoy…