Beerakaya or Ridge Gourd – 3 medium/large
Chana Dal – 2 tbsp.(washed and soaked for 30 mins.)
Tuvar Dal – 2 tbsp. (washed and soaked for 30 mins.)
Onion – 1, chopped
Garam masala – ½ tsp.
Bay leaf – 1
Turmeric – a pinch
Jeera or cumin – 1 tsp.
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp.
Green chillies – 3, slit or chopped
Tamarind – 1 piece
Salt – to taste
Oil – 2 tsp.
- Peel and chop the ridge gourd into small pieces and keep aside.
- In a small pressure pan, heat oil and add in the bay leaf, jeera, mustard and green chillies. Saute.
- Now add in the onions and tamarind. Fry onions till translucent. Add in the salt, turmeric and garam masala and give it a stir.
- Now add in the soaked dals and mix well. Cover and cook for a minute.
- Put the chopped vegetable and saute. Cover and cook for 1 min.
- Pour about 1.5 glasses of water, check for salt and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Serve hot with rice or chapathi.
With beerakaya or the ridge gourd, one can do so many varieties of dishes especially when it comes to the south indian cuisine. Check out a few here….