Potlakaya or Snake gourd – 1, chopped into small pieces
Moong dal – 2 tbsp.
Tuvar dal – 2 tbsp.
Onion – 1, chopped
Tomato – 1, large, chopped
Sabji masala – ½ tsp.
Turmeric – a pinch
Jeera or cumin – 1 tsp.
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp.
Green chillies – 3, slit or chopped
Tamarind – 1 small piece
Salt – to taste
Oil – 3 tsp.
- In a small pressure pan, heat oil and add in the jeera, mustard and green chillies. Saute.
- Now add in the onions and fry well till translucent. Next put in the tomatoes and saute. Add in the salt, turmeric and sabji masala and give it a stir. Cover and cook for 2 mins.
- Now add in the soaked dals and mix well. Cover and cook for a minute.
- Put the chopped vegetable, tamarind and saute for a minute more. Cover and cook for 1 min.
- Pour about 1.5 glasses of water, check for salt and pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles.
- Serve hot with rice or chapathi.
If you like this curry, you may like the others too, all made with snake gourd.