Seedless dates – 225 gms. ( if you use dark dates, there will be a darker colour)
Baking soda – ½ tsp.
Baking powder – ¼ tsp.
Maida – 85 gms.
Cooking butter – 115 gms. at room temperature
Sugar – 115 gms.
Walnuts – 60 gms. chopped ( can also use cashewnuts)
Eggs – 2
Vanilla essence – ½ tsp.
Serving suggestion – with sweetened cream
Recipe courtesy – Tarla Dalal
- Chop the dates and soak them in 6 to 7 tbsp. water with soda added. Keep aside for a minimum of 4 to 5 hours.
- Sieve the maida with baking powder and keep aside.
- In a dish cream together butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Then add the eggs one at a time and beat well. Next add in the vanilla essence.
- Then add half the quantity of dates and half the quantity of maida. Mix well. Then add the remaining dates and maida.
- Finally put in the chopped nuts and mix.
- Take a muffin pan and put in the muffin paper liners. Pour the batter into it and bake for around 30 mins or more in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Insert a skewer and check if done. Remove and cool.
- You can also pour the entire batter in a loaf pan or a square baking dish with a parchment paper or if not using a baking sheet then grease the pan well and then flour it before putting the cake batter in it.
Here is a recipe for an eggless version, that is similar to this date cake – Eggless Date and Cashew Cake
You might also like my Date and Cashew Bites and my Date and Nut Shortbread. Surely give them both a try !