Unsalted Butter – 1/3 cup
Brown sugar – 2/3 cup
Egg – 1
Vanilla essence – ¼ tsp.
Cinnamon powder – ¼ tsp.
Salt – a very small pinch
Baking soda – 1/8 tsp.
Flour or Maida – 1.5 cups
Dates – 70 gms. chopped
Nuts – ¼ cup + 1 tbsp. (of your choice; I put chopped cashew. Walnuts and pecans will be good)
Water – 2 tbsp. + 2 tsp.
White sugar – 2 tbsp. + 2 tsp.
- Cream butter and brown sugar in a bowl until smooth.
- Add in the egg and beat well. Mix in the vanilla essence.
- Sift in the maida, cinnamon powder, salt and baking soda. Blend evenly.
- Wrap and refrigerate this dough for about an hour.
- To make the filling , combine the dates, nuts, white sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook the mix till a paste like consistency is formed. Cool slightly.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out on the platform using a little flour so that it does not get too sticky.
- Spread the filling paste on the dough and then roll into a sort of a log shape. Place it in the refrigerator again for about an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg.C. Take a baking tray and place the parchment paper on it.
- Remove and cut into slices using a sharp knife. Place them on the baking sheet and bake for about 15 mins. till set and lightly browned. Cool and store.
Dates are nutritious and a having a couple of dates a day is good for health. You can incorporate dates into sweet bites such as