Black eyed beans / peas – 1 cup
Onions – 2 chopped
Tomatoes – 3 chopped
Garam masala – 1 tsp.
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp.
Coriander – 3 tbsp.
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp.
Turmeric – ½ tsp.
Kasuri methi – ½ tsp.
Salt to taste
Oil – 3 or 4 tbsp.
- Clean and wash the black eyed beans and soak in water for an hour. In a pressure cooker, boil the beans along with a pinch of garam masala and salt. Wait for 2 -3 whistles and turn off.
- In a pressure pan, heat up the oil and once hot, add in the jeera and when it splutters, add in the chopped onion. Saute till onion is transluscent.
- Now add in some salt, ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes away.
- Now add in the tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder and garam masala powder. Mix well. Cover and cook till the tomatoes turn a little soft.
- Now put in the cooked beans and add some more water and pressure cook for 2 whistles so that the entire flavour is incorporated. Once the pressure reduces, check for taste and add salt and chilli powder if needed. Can also add water if you want a more liquid consistency.
- Add some crushed kasuri methi and mix in the coriander. Serve with hot chapathi or jeera rice.
Here are a couple more delectable curries that are perfect to eat with jeera rice and phulkas.