Kandipappu or tuvar dal -3/4 glass
Drumsticks – 2 cut into big pieces
Tomato – 1 quartered
Onions – 4 chopped into big chunks
Carrot – 1 chopped
Potato – 1 chopped
Ladyfinger – 6 nos. chopped
Sambar powder – 1 tbsp.
Water – 2 glasses
Tamarind – lemon sized ball soaked in a glass of water
Green chillies – 2 sliced
Oil – 1 tbsp.
Methi seeds – 4 or 5
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
Cumin – ½ tsp.
Hing or asafetida – a pinch
Curry leaves – few
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder-1 tsp.
- Pressure cook the dal and keep aside.
- In another small pressure pan, add oil and once hot, add the methi seeds, mustard, cumin, hing and curry leaves.
- Now add the drumstick pieces, green chillies, carrot, potato, tomato and onions. Mix well. Fry for a minute.
- Add in the sambar powder, salt, chilli powder and tamarind water. Stir and if you wish, can add more water.
- Cook for 2 whistles, reduce the flame and cook for a couple of minutes more, another one whistle.
- In a small saucepan, add a little oil and stir fry the lady finger pieces.
- Once the pressure releases, mix both the vegetables and dal together and check for taste.
- Boil for a couple of minutes and turn off the stove.