Tuvar dal – ¼ cup
Tomatoes – 4
Water – 3 cups
Turmeric – ½ tsp.
Oil – 1 tsp.
Rasam powder – 2 tsp.
Jaggery – 1 tsp.
Salt to taste
Tamarind juice – 2 tbsp.
Asafoetida – ½ tsp.
Curry leaves – few
Coriander – 1 tbsp. chopped
Red chillies – 2 or 3
Mustard – 1 tsp.
Ghee – 1 tsp.
- Pressure cook dal with water, turmeric and oil for 5 whistles.
- Boil tomatoes and peel off skin. Make into puree.
- Take a vessel with dal water. Keep the dal aside.
- Add tamarind and tomato puree to it along with rasam powder , jaggery and salt.
- Boil well for 5 minutes.
- Now do the tempering with ghee by adding mustard, red chillies, hing and curry leaves. Pour it into the rasam.
- Add fresh coriander for flavor and garnish.
If you feel the rasam is too thick, you can add some more water.
Here are a few more tasty rasam recipes….