Tuvar dal or kandipappu – 3 tbsp.
Tomatoes – 2 big
Water – 3 cups
Rasam powder – 1.5 tsp.
Coriander for garnish
Tamarind or lemon juice– 2 tsp. [optional] Salt to taste
Cumin – ½ tsp.
Curry leaves –few
Garlic – 2 pods
Asafetida – ¼ tsp.
Black pepper – ½ tsp. crushed
- Cook tuvar dal and keep aside.
- Boil the tomatoes and peel the skin. Mash them and keep aside.
- In a vessel, add the dal, tomatoes and water. Mix well.
- Do the tempering and add it to the rasam mix.
- Now add the rasam powder and salt and bring to a boil.
- Garnish with coriander.
If you don’t find the rasam sour enough, then add a bit of tamarind juice or lemon juice. Give it a quick boil and remove from fire.
Here are a few more tasty rasam recipes….