Ash gourd pieces – 2 cups, chopped (skinned)
Toor dal – ½ cup cooked
Coconut oil – 3 tsp.
Turmeric – ½ tsp.
Jaggery – 1 tsp.
Tamarind juice – 3 or 4 tbsp.
Curry leaves – few
Salt to taste
For Ground Masala
Split urad dal – 2 tsp.
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp.
Channa dal – 2 tsp
Methi seeds – ½ tsp.
Coriander seeds – 3 tsp.
Red chillies – 2
Curry leaves – a sprig
- Take a small pan, add in 2 tsp. of coconut oil. Once hot, add in the ingredients listed under ‘For Ground Masala’ and fry them till the dals turn light brown and a nice aroma fills the kitchen.
- Grind this masala adding a little water till it forms a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- In a small pressure cooker, add in the chopped ash gourd pieces, water just to cover the pieces, a few curry leaves, salt, turmeric, jaggery and tamarind juice. Cook for 1 whistle.
- Once the pressure releases, check if the pieces are cooked. They should not be too mushy. Add in the masala paste and carefully give it a stir.
- Put this back on the stove and add in the cooked toor dal with a little water. Let it come to a boil. If you like a more liquid consistency, can add a bit more water. Adjust the salt.
- Do the tempering and add it to the curry. Give it a quick stir and let it boil for just a minute.
- Remove into a serving bowl and it is ready.
If you like this healthy ash gourd gravy curry, you might like some of my other nutritious side dishes for rice….