Tomatoes – 2 chopped
Vamu or ajwain – 3 tsp.
Drumstick – 1 (cut into pieces)
Tamarind – 1 strip
Methi seeds – ½ tsp.
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Cumin seeds or jeera – 1 tsp.
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp.
Oil – 2 tbsp.
Turmeric – ½ tsp.
Green chillies – 2, cut into strips
Rasam powder – 2 or 3 tsp.
Coriander – 2 tbsp.
Salt – to taste
- Take a small pressure pan. Once hot, add oil. Then add mustard, methi seeds, cumin, chillies, curry leaves and vamu into it. Stir for a minute.
- Now add the tomato pieces. Add in salt and turmeric. Mix well and cook till tomatoes are mushy.
- Now add in the rasam powder and a couple of glasses of water. Add in the chopped drumsticks and tamarind at this stage. Mix well.
- Pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles. Once the pressure reduces, open the lid and check for taste. If required add in salt or rasam powder at this stage and give it a boil for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the coriander, stir and switch off the stove. Serve hot with rice.
Here are a few more tasty rasam recipes….