Bottle gourd – 1.5 cups chopped pieces
Tomato – 1 large, chopped
Green chillies – 2 to 3
Mustard seeds – ½ tsp.
Cumin seeds – 1.5 tsp.
Dhaniya or coriander seeds – 1 tsp.
Sesame or til – 3 tsp., roasted
Urad dal – 1 tsp.
Chana dal – 1 tsp.
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Garlic – 4 or 5 pods
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Hing – a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil – 4 tsp. or as required
- Heat 1 tsp. of oil in a pan. Add 1 tsp. of cumin seeds, 1 tsp. coriander seeds, 1 tsp. of chana dal, chopped green chillies and garlic into it. Roast for a couple of minutes.
- Now add the tomato pieces to the pan and mix well. Cover and cook till tomatoes are soft. Keep aside.
- In the same pan, add another 2 tsp. of oil and add the bottle gourd pieces along with turmeric. Cook for a few minutes till the pieces are done. Keep aside to cool.
- Now into the mixie jar, add the tomato mixture, little salt and the roasted sesame seeds. Coarsely grind.
- Now add the bottle gourd pieces to it and grind again till you get a coarse paste. If you wish, can add a teaspoon of water to make a smooth paste.
- Do the tempering with oil, urad dal, mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves. Pour on top of the chutney. Serve with hot rice.
Here are a few more chutney recipes that pair well with white rice at lunchtime….