Potalakaya or snake gourd – 250 gms , chopped
Coconut – 2 tbsp, grated
Yellow moong dal or pesarapappu – 2 tsp.
Salt to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp.
Mustard – ½ tsp.
Split urad dal – ½ tsp.
Curry leaves – few
Cumin – ½ tsp.
Red chillies or green chillies – 2
- Soak the yellow moong dal for 20-30 mins. and keep aside.
- Take a kadai and add oil into it. Once hot add the split urad dal, chillies, curry leaves, mustard and cumin.
- Once they splutter add the vegetable pieces and the soaked dal (water removed)with salt and mix well.
- Cover and cook till the vegetable is soft. Remove lid and fry for a few minutes.
- Lastly add the grated coconut, stir for a minute and remove from fire.
Let me tell you what I did to save time. I put the chopped snake gourd pieces in a pressure cooker with some salt and water and cooked it for 3-4 whistles. Likewise, you could also soak the moong dal in hot water. This is a short cut method so that the vegetable gets done faster. At step 3 you can add in the cooked vegetable and the moong dal with a little salt if required. Fry till the moisture evaporates and then add in the coconut.
If you like this curry, you may like the others too, all made with snake gourd.