Rava or suji or semolina – 1 cup
Curds – ½ cup
Baking soda – a pinch
Water – as much as required, may be ½ a cup or more or less to get a medium consistency batter
Green chillies – 1 or 2
Ginger – a ½ inch piece
Cashewnuts – 12 chopped
Ghee – 3 tsp.
Salt as required
Oil – 1 or 2 tsp.
Mustard – 1 tsp.
Chana dal or Bengal gram – 1 tsp.
Split Urad dal – 1 tsp.
Curry leaves – a sprig
Asafoetida – a pinch
1. Heat 2 tsp. of ghee in a pan. Add the rava into it and roast continuously till it turns light brown with a nice aroma.
2. Once done, remove and add into a mixing bowl.
4. In the same pan, add 1 tsp. of ghee and fry the cashews. Add to the rava.
5. In the same pan, do the tempering and put into the bowl.
6. Now add curds, ginger, green chillies and salt. Mix well.
7. Add water to this mixture as required to make it like an idli batter , medium consistency.
8. Cover and keep aside for half an hour.
9. After this time, if the batter seems too thick, add a bit more water and mix well.
10. Just before making the idlis, add the baking soda and give it a good stir.
11. Now put the batter in the idli moulds and make soft rava idlis.
Here are some easy and tasty breakfast dishes that you can whip up quickly….